The Colerain Police Department wants to remind our citizens of the necessary precautions to be followed to prevent and deter burglaries as vacation season approaches. This time of year is also when home and yard improvement projects get started and spring cleaning opens up our homes to fresh air. We want our residents to enjoy their summer and not worry about crime in their neighborhood or becoming victims of a crime. The Colerain Police Department is dedicated to proactively patrol the community, forming partnerships with businesses and neighborhood watch organizations, to stop property crimes and arrest criminals.
Crime trends have been decreasing in Colerain Township overall in the past several years, but the epidemic of Heroin and Opiate abuse is a major cause of burglary. An increase in property crimes could occur if steps aren’t taken to prevent it. The Colerain Police Department wants to encourage our residents to follow the below listed guidelines to prevent and deter burglaries:
- Keep doors and windows securely locked
- Brace sliding glass doors
- Lock the door to the attached garage
- Use light timers to create the illusion that you are home
- Keep the exterior of your home well lit
- If you have an alarm system, use it
- Keep shrubbery trimmed away from entrances and walkways
- Have your mail and newspaper deliveries stopped when on vacation
- Notify the Colerain Police Department when you are leaving for a vacation
- Do not advertise, via social media, when you are going to be gone for an extended period of time
- Keep valuables in a secure location such as a safety security box, wall safe, or security closet
- Record the serial numbers on valuables such as electronics and firearms
- Get to know your neighbors. One of the best burglary prevention tools is a strong neighborhood block watch
- Notify the police if you see any suspicious persons, vehicles, or activity in your neighborhood
- Complete a Residential Security and Safety Survey which is available on our website
If You Are a Victim
If you were to become the victim of a burglary or B&E, identifying information regarding your stolen property would better assist us in locating it, and the arrest and prosecution of persons responsible. The Colerain Police Department has created a Property Identification List for you to print out on our website. This list details your valuables and assists police in our investigation. We can look for your stolen property through nationwide database searches of pawn shops. Print out the Property Identification List, fill it out listing your property and valuables, and keep the list in a safe place for your information and to have in case you’re the victim of a crime.
Questions or Concerns
The Colerain Police Department is committed to providing a safe community to our residents and visitors. We will continue to work hard in reducing the level of crime in our neighborhoods. We strongly encourage anyone to call us at 513-321-2677 if they have any questions or concerns.